I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak tenderly to her. And there I will give her vineyards and make the valley of trouble a door of hope.
Hosea 2:15

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tales of the Restoration Part VI: Broken Walls

Nehemiah 1:3 The remnant there...is in great trouble and shame. The wall of Jerusalem is broken down, and its gates are destroyed by fire.
Photo of Jerusalem From The Cutting Edge Newshttp://www.thecuttingedgenews.com/uploads/cmimg_12886.jpg



Walls
Walls were built around ancient cities to keep out enemies who sought to destroy.

As I struggled years ago through the siege and fall of my marriage, I did not have strong boundaries. I wanted so badly to please, and preserve the peace in my home, that I accepted breaches in my boundaries with only weak resistance.

My wall was broken down.

Still today I fall back into the same pattern sometimes. I try very hard to please, and in the process I fail to enforce healthy boundaries. Someone, even someone I love, pushes through the weak area. I feel violated. I become very angry. I have a difficult time forgiving.

My wall is still broken down in places.

Prayer
Lord, help me to understand the role of the wall in the restoration you are working.

For more on healthy boundaries in relationships I highly recommend reading Boundaries by John Townsend and Henry Cloud.

Gates that let in the good, are just as important as walls that keep out the bad. More about the role of gates in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment