I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak tenderly to her. And there I will give her vineyards and make the valley of trouble a door of hope.
Hosea 2:15

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Spirit of Fear

My husband's company requires a safety talk at the beginning of every meeting. They talk about why people should never stand on chairs to reach things and why they should always wear safety goggles. Honestly, sometimes I am surprised that those accountants and engineers don't sit pecking at their computers wearing helmets and safety goggles. I suppose that the company is trying to cut workman's compensation expenses, but the extreme emphasis on safety annoys me. I'm not even the one who has to listen to the talks!

I think that people are too fearful and too careful already. Sometimes I want to bust out and do something dangerous.

I watched this "balance beam" video clip by Francis Chan this morning. It is worth watching.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA_uwWPE6lQ

The temptation to just hold on tight until I reach the end of life is strong. But, I think Mr. Chan has a point. I doubt God is going to be greeting me with an enthusiastic "well-done!" if all I do is hang on tight and stay safe until life is over.

"For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." 2 Timothy 1:7

No comments:

Post a Comment