I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak tenderly to her. And there I will give her vineyards and make the valley of trouble a door of hope.
Hosea 2:15

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Tales of the Restoration: The Gift of Tears

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:...a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance. Ecclesiastes 4:1,4

Growing up and through my early adulthood, I somehow adopted the idea that both anger and crying were bad. To someone who cries easily, I am sure it sounds strange that I was unable to cry. I even quit feeling things. I became emotionally dead, unable to feel either the heights of joy or the depths of sorrow.

As an adult, through the depths of the realization of some of my worst nightmares, and the help of a very patient mentor, I gradually came back to life emotionally. I learned to feel anger, and to cry. Now, when I cry I also feel gratitude for the gift of tears. It is such a relief to be able to cry.

On my other blog, http://thosewhosee.blogspot.com/ I have been writing about developing a habit of happiness. Happiness is important and, for those who draw careful distinctions, joy is an integral part of the life of a Christian. I sometimes wonder though, if there are other Christians, who like me, get the wrong idea. The route to joy is not to overdose on emotional anesthesia. We are not meant to deaden ourselves from experiencing the pain of life. There is a time to weep.

I have a friend who is in the depths of divorce. She cries frequently and easily. I think it is healthy. It is her time to weep. She wonders if it will always be like this. It won't.

Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes in the morning. Psalm 30:5

More on tears next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment